Saturday, November 7, 2009

notes: witchy 101 - building an altar


Choosing an altar.
Point 1: I have both a permanent and a travel altar, because I feel comforted by redundancy, and I think I'd like separate tools for others to handle, vs the ones that I'll handle entirely on my own. I also have a sort of transient almost-altar-- a shelf above my altar proper-- where I put random things that I like, that were once on my altar, but have been moved or are no longer needed. My permanent altar is a little shelf about a foot and a half long that one of my previous Circle-mates gifted to me one Yule, sitting on top of a lovely table my mom gave me when I moved into my first house, that I retopped with hand-painted majolica tiles. My travel altar is a basket where I keep all my travel tools, a handful of supplies like charcoals and matches, and a cloth, and they just get spread out on any available surface, including the ground, when they're needed.

Point 2: I'm in love with the amazingly complex Catholic altars in the big Cathedrals, and I'd love to have something that big and special in my home, but there just isn't space in my house, so I keep it smaller. I live with several other people, none of which are Pagan, and so I have to respect their wishes not to have half the living room devoted to the Goddess.

I'd love to have a segmented board that's carved and woodburned and then lacquered until it's shiny that would set up across any two stones or stumps or whatever, and then break down like a Bedouin tent when I leave, but I just don't have the skill for that. If I did, I'd also have furniture that broke down easier so I could move more easily.

Point 3: There is no North wall in my room-- that's a double door and a closet-- and so my altar faces South, but it's right next to my bed and between where I sleep and where I put on my makeup in the morning, so I see it constantly, and it serves the purpose of reminding me of my beliefs very well.

Choosing decor:
Mine is all mostly found and gifted, but I like the color green, so a lot of it is green and that helps to pull it all together. Also helping is the fact that everything has a reason for being there, even the things I don't use much, and most of the items have specific memories associated with them. That helps me keep on track as I work.

No comments: