Thursday, October 29, 2009

out of circle experience

Isn't this a lovely Circle? I wish it were mine, but alas it is not-- it belongs to the Leodis Circle, which is not here.

With Halloween coming up on us quickly, the History Channel has been trotting out the same specials it shows every year, and every year I get this weird feeling watching them. Aside from the fact that I think some of their details are foggy or glossed over, or at least many-times-repeated regardless of accuracy, there's this strange disconnect between watching a Circle on TV in a show that doesn't really know what it's taking about, and being inside one. See, there was this High Priestess somewhere north of here where it's actually cold. They were casting the Circle and Calling the Quarters, they were chanting The Circle is Open and We All Come From The Goddess, and these are all things I do with my own friends when we manage to get together, sometimes even on my own, and they're amazingly powerful in that context-- but watching them on TV like that, separated by the screen and the cameraman and the editor and the livingroom furniture with it's lights... It's just weird.

I don't really have much to say more than that, but the feeling has been nagging at me. The weirdness, like when I dream that I'm out of my body and watching myself. The vague almost-embarrassment that they'd be on TV like that, their precious faith exposed like a play for all the people who watch the History Channel, probably mostly for kicks instead of for knowledge this time of the year...

It's just weird.

No comments: