Saturday, September 11, 2010

deer totem

I found this website that has Native American Astrology. I have no idea how authentic the idea is, or if they just took what's general for each time frame from Western or Chinese or both and made a NatAm one, but I kind of like what it has to say about mine, which is Deer:

Deer: May 21 – Jun 20


This Native American animal symbol is the muse of the zodiac. The Deer is inspiring lively and quick-witted. With a tailor-made humor, the Deer has a tendency to get a laugh out of anyone. Excellent ability for vocalizing, the Deer is a consummate conversationalist. This combined with his/her natural intelligence make the Deer a must-have guest at dinner parties. Always aware of his/her surroundings, and even more aware of his/her appearance, the Deer can be a bit self-involved. However, the Deer's narcissism is overlooked because of his/her congeniality and affability. In a supportive environment the Deer's natural liveliness and sparkly personality radiate even more. He/she is an inspiring force in any nurturing relationship. Left to his/her own devices the Deer can be selfish, moody, impatient, lazy, and two-faced.
 
 
Sounds basically like Gemini and Monkey combined, and not at all like Obsidian Knife, which is my Aztec symbol (again, according to the interwebs).
 
So now I'm Gemini Metal-Metal Monkey Obsidian Knife Deer. I figure I'll just keep collecting up symbols like this.
 
I've never really thought about deers as a totem, but maybe, in these terms, it makes a little sense. Generally I gravitate toward birds-- big scary ones like Hawk and Raven or little cute ones like Finch or Wren-- or go for symbols rather than animals. Lately I've been identifying with feathers, acorns, ferns, kelp (weird, right?)-- places where creatures live or what they leave behind, rather than the animals themselves.
 
But on the other hand, we're all works in progress, changing all the time. So maybe I'm just between creatures. Once I was Dragon, then I was Cat, what will I be next?

No comments: