Thursday, October 16, 2008

Musings: Carbon Nanotubes

I just had a spiritual moment reading about science. This is not unusual for me. Anyway, I was reading the caption for this picture of carbon nanotubes being made, and it said that sometimes when they heat the graphite to make them, they grow out like bulbs sprouting in the spring, and it occurred to me that carbon is what makes those bulbs. It's what makes all of life what it is. And what if this is another example of conservation of idea, of fractal patterning in nature? Atoms, planets, solarsystems, galaxies all sort of mirror eachother, so what if carbon naturally mirrors life? What if life is inherent in carbon? We happened because the idea that would be magnified to out own structure is already there in how the thing grows anyway?

I know, poor science, but it's the idea that blew my mind.

No comments: